Thursday, January 20, 2011

Answering the Writer's Call

Greetings everyone.

First of all, thank you all for reading this. I really appreciate it.

I guess this will be my first post on my first blog. There is always a beginning; and for me, that beginning is now.

For a long time now, I've wanted to go into writing.

Haven't you always wondered how those great writers started out? Did they feel a sudden inspiration to start jotting down their thoughts? Or perhaps they saw some marvelous landmark or vacationed at a picturesque resort. Maybe a relative or acquaintance mentioned something, perhaps even just hinted at something.

"Honey, the lights really have a strange quality to them this time of year, don't they?"

Ring a bell? Supposedly, William Faulkner's wife's casual comment gave Faulkner an idea for a title for one of his novels. Whether this is fact or myth, we can't really tell, but it goes to show how a single idea can transform a person's very thoughts, and perhaps lead to a great work of art.

In my case, I really wanted to record my thoughts because I value my own thoughts. My thoughts are what matter to me because they are what defines me, at least the way I view it. My world-views, social and political leanings- to my innermost private views on life- my private thoughts are mine to own and mine to share with others. There will never be another human being who thinks the way I do about everything. I think that is why you must treasure your own thoughts, because they are unique and defines who you are. Your identity can be explained by inspecting your own thoughts (i.e. introspection).

I would argue that every good writer writes because they value themselves too much to deprive the world of their written material, whether that be a multi-million bestselling classic or the next trendy how-to manual. Of course, there will always be other factors to consider: finances (you got to earn money to live), prestige and influence (being a published author immediately gives you a mark of authority), or maybe even just writing simply out of boredom.

I hope this isn't sounding too arrogant or narcissistic. In the end, I just want to share my thoughts with the rest of the world, and there is no other better way than to write!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think, therefore I am.

    Good on ya to start something invaluable as writing. I, too, being a fan of writing myself, will meticulously absorb your knowledge and possibly share mine as well. Looking forward to some interesting insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start. I just remembered how much you enjoyed writing in our high school years.

    ReplyDelete